Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Postmodern Parables: The Stove

A young boy was once playing in the kitchen while his mother prepared dinner. He decided to stand up and reached toward the stove to steady himself. “Don’t touch the stove!” his mother cried, slapping his wrist. “Why?” the young boy asked. “Because I’m your mother and I said so,” came the reply. Later that night the boy asked his father why he wasn’t allowed to touch the stove. “Do what your mother tells you,” his father instructed, then went back to watching the news. The young boy grew up, got married and settled down in an apartment with his new wife. One day his wife came home from work exhausted by a long day and asked him to make dinner. She had never before made this request. “I can’t,” he replied. “Didn’t anybody teach you how to cook?” “It’s not that. I’m not allowed to touch the stove.” His wife grew very confused. “Why not?” “My mom told me I couldn’t.” She became even more confused. “Did she ever tell you why?” “She said it was because she was my mother and she said so.” “Ah,” his wife replied, realizing what had happened. “Come over here to the kitchen. I want to show you something.”

No comments: