Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Dilemma...Solved!

I've got a 24 mile commute this week that requires several miles on the perpetually under construction Interstate 88. This is the sort of thing that I picked my current residence and it's proximity to my office specifically to avoid. However, there's a neurotic schnauzer and a landlord who wouldn't take too kindly to said neurotic schnauzer involved, so I do what I can. Anyway, the solution to dealing with the traffic-related nightmare that is I-88 is to get on the road at six am, thereby arriving at the office at about ten 'til seven. This is the time I'm usually getting up when left to my own devices. And I am not a morning person. In order to keep my brain occupied this morning I decided to figure out if I even had the potential for a top ten music list for 2009. There was actually a brief period in which it looked like I'd have a top three: Idlewild's Post Electric Blues, the Lovehammers' Heavy Crown, and The Alternate Routes' A Sucker's Dream. There was technically no fourth, except that I'd decided to grandfather Seneca's Sweeter than Bourbon (2008) in just, y'know, because. But it was kind of a moot point, anyway, since I still haven't actually gotten around to posting my top 10 from 2008, anyway. So I had three with a fourth in on a technicality. Then I went off and met Sarah Peacock, so I found a fifth. A month or so ago I pulled my head out of my rectum and found out Pearl Jam was set to release a new record. A couple weeks ago my buddy informed me that Our Lady Peace had put out a new one. Then yesterday I found out that the uncomparable Mike Doughty is releasing a new album in October. So now I'm up to eight. Then I remembered that the Manic Street Preachers put out a new disc. I then discovered that they're in the US for the first time in, like, ten years. And they'll be at the Metro on October 1st. So I thought, "Should I go?" The problem is that I kinda like MSP. But I don't care for enough of their library to know that I'd have a good time at a show. And it's on a Thursday. And I'm going to see RCPM on the third in Milwaukee and the tenth in Madison. So I was trying to decide. It was then that Mike Doughty arrived to save the day. Turns out he's on tour and is doing four shows at Schuba's in October. All four are sold out. Which is kind of insane. However, he'll be in Milwaukee on the 17th. So Manics out, Doughty in. It's not so much a scheduling conflict as a spending conflict. I've wanted to see Doughty for several years. I don't actually know that I want to see MSP. Therefore, especially since there's an extra tank of gas involved, it's one or the other. Also, if anyone happens to know of a place somewhere in southern Wisconsin where I could, like, live for about three weeks, that'd be great. Because it sure seems I'll be spending a lot of time up there. At least I won't have to worry about the White Sox making a magical October run... Oh, and speaking of Schuba's and The Alternate Routes, they're apparently swinging through town on the 30th of October. So that's neat. Oh, by the way, Fiat Lex and Everlasting Dave: reserve your seats now if you want to go to any of those shows. There's limited space in the Gedsmobile, don'tcha know...

2 comments:

The Everlasting Dave said...

Money's too short for Doughty, but I still have a good solid maybe for RCPM.

As for 2009 music, I just got the new PJ today, and first listen says it's pretty good. Also, give 21st Century breakdown an honest shot. It's good.

The Everlasting Dave said...

3 more listens, I can safely say "backspacer" is PJ's best since "binaural". If there's a complaint to be had, it's that it's only 36 minutes long, but there's no wasted space... which, unless I'm mistaken, makes it the first PJ album I can say that about. Wait, I guess Ten was more or less perfectly arranged too. Still, it's concise and amazing. Highlights for The Dave are "got some", "just breathe", and "unthought known". Listening to the latter right now. The song is unbelievable in its awesomeness. Oh yeah, "force of nature" rules too.