Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Gaah.

Now, as much as I say I don't want to talk about my move from Christianity any more, there are still some things that are definitely worth discussing. There are still some things where my own personal experience adds value (at least in my humble opinion) to the larger topics of the day. I still regularly think about such things and am absolutely not against writing about them. Awareness is important, especially in the political climate in the United States right now. I can stop thinking about my own experiences, but I cannot afford to completely ignore my former brethren and sistren. Such is the nature of the beast. But my goal is to avoid staring in to the abyss any more than I have to. Still, there's this article from Frank Schaeffer on the 9/12 march madness. It bears consideration. I may simply leave it as a link. I may double-back and talk about it. I haven't decided yet. Take a look, but not too long. That abyss has a bad habit of looking back.

2 comments:

bluefrog said...

Oy. I thought that you were exaggerating there, talking about "staring into the abyss." I wish you had been. If Frank Schaeffer is right, we're in the kind of trouble truth and reason and patient teaching won't even recognize until they're bleeding into the dirt. "It bears consideration," indeed. I hope you talk about it.

Fiat Lex said...

Reminds me of something I saw a standup say late at night on Comedy Central. "I love making fun of Amish people on cable TV," he confided to his audience, "because they'll never know."

We can all talk about it, talk about it, talk about it, but these crazy idiots who make America look insane and Christianity (which is a symbol set, a tool capable of being used for any purpose) look inherently evil--I haven't been able to figure out a way to get through to them.

The thing is, for every bullying, fanatical loon at one of these marches or protests, there's five people who are more like my relatives. Namely, they're there because of their moderate-by-comparison ideology, they are uncomfortable with some of the violence and bullying, but they feel if they don't contribute or lend their support it would be letting Jesus down.

THOSE are the people worth reaching. Who can perhaps still be convinced that these monstrous, manipulative, cynical, crazy, anti-American idiots don't have anything to do with the God in which most self-identified Christians believe. They're just 'taking its name in vain' in order to get money and power.

It also reminds me of that Twilight Zone, "He's Alive!"
*shudder*